[IAC#RG] Time to render justice to Sadhvi Pragya - let us wipe thisblot of shame on what is done to a Sadhu and a woman
devinder.thakur-LfUFBbCNao6Ide+
2014-10-11 14:38:43 UTC
It is premature to say whether she has been punished enough or not. If we go by the gravity of the alleged crime, she has not spent enough time in jail, because such crimes entail a long term in imprisonment and any time spent in prison,  waiting for the trial is adjusted against the eventual prison sentence. This can only be decided by a fair and speedy trial which she is being denied.

The fact that she is a Sadhvi, has no value in the eyes of  law. Her status is that of a citizen and that is what she will be treated as. Sadhvi's do not get involved in criminal conspiracies to kill other people. Another political Sadhvi got away lightly was Uma Bharati who confessed to instigating the demolition of a historic structure.  Devinder
________________________________
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2014 3:11 PM
Subject: Re: [IAC#RG] Time to render justice to Sadhvi Pragya - let us wipe thisblot of shame on what is done to a Sadhu and a woman
I support this mail. shadvi pragya seems to  be punished already without being convicted. She is a saint and deserve respect from the society.
Dear Mr Roy, Thanks for the response.
Apart from the Sandhni" aspect which arouses Hindu sentiments,  the fact that three attempts at the Supreme Court level by both Pragya Singh Thakur and Lt.Col. Prohit to get bail were refused means that there is much more to the case than the public is aware of. Additionally, the fact that the RSS prachark Sunil Joshi  who allegedly actually placed the bomb was bumped off, shows that he knew too much and his existence was dangerous for the ideologues he was working for. The alleged confession by Pragya Singh Thakur that she was responsible for his murder because he made amorous advances towards her is hardly a credible story and looks like an attempt at a cover up for it..  Regards  Devinder
Sent: Saturday, October 4, 2014 5:49 PM
Dear Mr. Thakur
BJP under dynamic CM of MP is doing everything in its power to save
his Govt the embarrassment of having the poor lady die in a MP Govt
hospital.
Our Pavlovian barking dogs on this list may not know all the facts.
The Dewas Police has recently discovered startling new evidence that
murdered RSS pracharak Sunil Joshi (who was in hiding after allegedly
murdering 2 Cong MPs) was a liquor kingpin and made sexual advances to
the innocent Sadhvi. This allegedly outraged her rakhi brothers who
were associated with Joshi in his businesses and they formed a
conspiracy in which the poor
Sadhvi was also roped in.
The National Investigative Agency has taken this new information very
seriously and is approaching the court to get Sadhvi's name deleted as
an accused. It is widely expected that if any unfortunate event occurs
to Sadhvi post her release, attempts shall be made to see the senior
Congress leadership in MP shall suffer like Congress suffered in
Chattisgarh.
Now that the government at the centre is the one who is committed not to
appease the minorities. Now what is the problem in getting justice for
Pragya Singh Thakur. Why is she allowed to languish in jail when she is
innocent and needs justice. There got to be an answer for this. What is N
moi doing to help her. and the same goes for Lt.Col. Prohit her
co-accused.?? Devindeer
________________________________
Sent: Saturday, October 4, 2014 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: [IAC#RG] Time to render justice to Sadhvi Pragya - let us wipe
thisblot of shame on what is done to a Sadhu and a woman
this is for the appeasement of minority.
"bas ek hi ulloo kafee tha veerane gulistan karne ko
har shakh pe ulloo baitha tha anjaame gulista kya hota"
now this is the time for correction.
On
pls let me know how i can help pragya ?
Add cleanup rule | More info
It is time BJP Government render justice to Sadhvi Pragya.  Is standing
for Hinduism her sin? If she committed any crime why was she not
convicted for six years?
I understand her health was so destroyed that she will never be normal.
It is a tragedy it is happening in India, not country like Saudi Arabia.
For heaven sake, let us fight for justice to her.  We should register our
protest to Indian Government to stop this atrocity.  We need to reach
out to Sadhu Sant to raise voice and stop this on a Sadhu and a woman.
It is a matter of shame.
Regards,
Satya
Diwan Singh
2014-10-12 08:25:28 UTC
Devinder ji,

Being Sadhvi makes no difference in eyes of law. But to us, it makes a
difference. Thats why is this discussion.
One become a sadhu, sadhvi to contribute to the religion, to secure it,
help it evolve, to help the society live a peaceful life. As a sadhvi, she
has sacrificed her worldly life for the rest of us. The pain of seeing
degarding values in society push people to join the ascetics.
Lets have all regard for these people in society, lest we have none left
for future and the society, directionless.

Yamuna Satyagraha
Ridge Bachao Andolan
Campaign for Preservation of Commons
naturalheritagefirst.org/website
devinder.thakur-LfUFBbCNao6Ide+
2014-10-12 09:04:18 UTC
Diwan Singh Ji, You are right, it affects me too. but the law can not prevent a Sadhu/Sadhvi from committing a crime but it certainly punishes them equally with every non Sahu citizen.

The best was for these people of god is to try and not cross their spiritual boundries and encroach upon the affairs of the state.  Devinder
________________________________
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2014 3:11 PM
Diwan Singh
2014-10-12 09:21:32 UTC
This judicial system supresses everything. People fear going to courts and
the police. What use is such system that is so expensive, have no regards
for local custom, culture. Our old system was pretty good, swift and
delivered justice. No doubt, it needed some reforms. Its a matter of
detail, can not discuss so much online. We could have continued with old
system with reforms, but , then, it would not have allowed hegemony for the
British. So, they brought their own, to suit their own needs.
Most of the European Laws as well as the American laws are based on the
British Law. The British law has the most well developed ystem of
jurisprudence. In Indian we did not have any such system before the British
rule. So there is nothing wrong with have a system which is adopted and
practised by more than half the world.
I should however mention that since independence, our judiciary has
developed our own case law and legal prcedents. So it is not understood how
our own culture is being suppressed??. Devinder
*Sent:* Sunday, October 12, 2014 9:07 AM
wipe thisblot of shame on what is done to a Sadhu and a woman
In our country, we have adapted Indian Penal Code,1860 enacted by
Britishers to supress the growth of our culture. Please o through the
Statement dated 2nd February,1835 of Lord Mccauley.
You can see the same on Face-Book of RajnishAbrol.
The plan of the State Government failed as on 26th November,2008, it was
meant for Sadhvi Pragya.
Warm regards,
Rakshpal Abrol
Consumer Activist
9820203154

2014-10-12 10:45:16 UTC
What was our legal system before the British took control of us and introduced English legal system??.In what way was it superior to the system we presently have.??  We were then ruled by the Mughals and I believe that they had the Qazi, Kotwal and Qued khana. What was the source of their law, was it based on equity or law or both or just what the Quaran said about the crime and punishment in a given situation.. Just imagine, what system of law would have existed today if the British had not come. Would it have been able to cope with the growing complexities of the society.?? What quality, and the level of legal intellect would have been applied in arriving at a judgement which would have also served as legal precedent.

You are right about the "hegemony of the British and their own need. After all they were ruling a country as big as India. It needed a fully developed social order, a transport system, and law and order machinery. without which they would have been unable to rule.

I agree with you that litigation in India is prohibitively expensive and atrociously slow and no doubt people are afraid to get involved any kind of legal action.  Devinder.
________________________________
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2014 10:21 AM

Diwan Singh
2014-10-13 06:50:52 UTC
Dear Devinderji,
Thats why I said, its a deep discussion. The Mughals system was not so
pervasive. It did not effect the day to day lives of Indian villages. The
Mughal system could not dislodge our traditonal judicial system that
involved juries chosen by the parties themselves.

What Mr. Bhatia has sent is right. The British actually dislodged
everything. They were much smarter, calculative and effective. They have
been so effective that most of us educated Indians do not know about
traditional Indian judicial system.

2014-10-13 08:36:32 UTC
Dear Diwan Singh Ji. You have said something rather fascinating. Can you please throw some more light on what you have said that the parties involved in litigation chose their own juries? and can you also please say what was the system of justice and do you think it could cater for the intricate and complex which we have become.

I agree with what you have said about the British being much smarter, calculative and effective.  Regards  Devinder
________________________________
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2014 10:21 AM

Sarbajit Roy
2014-10-13 11:10:20 UTC
Dear All

Question: If Mr Diwan Singh (Ridge Bachao Andolan) is so concerned
with the poor quality of "British" laws and seeks their abolition in
favour of "khap" system, then why did he and his so-called 'andolan'
go to Supreme Court in Vasant Kunj malls case with Prashant Bhushan as
his advocate ?

Since I have asked the question, let me also provide 1 possible opinion.

Ans: Because these dubious NGOs and the people who promote them, are
oftentimes nothing but proxies for mafias. In the Vasant Kunj Malls
case, because the Delhi High Court had stopped construction in Vasant
Kunj in "Sultangarhi" matter in an absolutely water-tight judgment,
the land mafia arranged many NGO rascals to file an absolutely bakwaas
PIL with bakwaas counsel to quickly get contrary orders in an
unrelated proceeding in SC. Since it was very valuable land on which
the malls (DLF, Ambience etc) were 80% constructed and stopped by
'Sultangarhi' judgment, such dubious andolans came in very handy to
bypass Sultangarhi judgment, in 2006 (if I recall correctly), by
throwing their case.

Sarbajit
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2014 3:11 PM
society.
Diwan Singh
2014-10-14 05:09:33 UTC
Now, I can understand why Sarbjeet Roy is such an interesting person. He
is alleging all possible motives and collusions to my work. Thanks
Sarbjeetji for such new insights into my work.

Well, to respond to Mr. Devender, the Indian judicial system largely
involved the local residents. Advantage is the locals always knew who is
who and what he does. The deliberations were held in open meetings, almost
all acquaintances/ residents of the village. This limited the chances of
the litigants lying.
At initiation level, the litigants followed a custom. Each would get into
agreement to invite two-three people from each side and allow them to
deliberate and pronounce judgement. In case of disagreement, though rare,
any of the litigating parties could approach a larger village gathering.
If one of the litigants was still not satisfied, he/she could approach a
multi village gathering. The last was in practice in khap areas like West
UP, Delhi, Haryana and Punjab. In rest of country, the highest court of
appeal was village panchayat. In the khap areas, the British had accepted
thee supremacy of local customs and preferred not to interfere.

Below is extract from a book on customary practices in erstwhile Punjab.

"Pax Romana could be said to have influenced even British effort to induct
the customary usages of rural communities into a system of customary law in
the Punjab. The British Government's attitude to custom was described by
Michael O'Dwyer's concluding lines of his speech in 1915, at the Conference
on Customary Law in Simla: "The problem before us in the Punjab is unique.
Other Provinces in India, have as a rule, the Dharma Shastras and the
various commentaries on them for the Hindus and the Shariyat and the Hadis
for the Muhamaddans . . . Here we have elected to be governed by custom. We
have no body of feeling that condemns our tribal customs as a whole as
antiquated or unsuitable. No
desire for uniformity, no sense of injustice involved in the maintenance of
the existing system.*Our function is **therefore to uphold, not to
destroy."* Consequently, the process of assimilation of custom into the
legal frameworkof rural society in Punjab was done at various stages but
the final shape was given by the enactment of the Punjab
Laws Act IV 1872. Therefore, even though the root of Punjab custom was
tradition and was in several ways
"coincident with popular feelings and necessities" nevertheless they
(Punjab customs) became the law of the
province by a single statute."

The above extract is not focussed on judicial system, but, relates to it.
It only serves to highlight the role of local customs, traditions, and many
of these were related to dispute resolution.
In rest of country too, the judicial system worked similarly. Please visit
any far away village in any corner of country and you would see such
systems still in operation.
A friend , Faizul, from Bengal told me about such systems in their society.
Similarly, in Assam, South India etc.

Yes, there were deficiencies too. If the village gathering was hijacked by
influential landlord or a purohit, or anyone else, it led to skewed
justice. So, wheresoever, people could ensure a wider participation in the
jury, the decision were just and quick.

Much can be discussed. This is for now.

Radhakrishnan RN
2014-10-16 00:40:56 UTC
On the issue of both Governance and Justice, I would like to put forward a
thought for mulling over.

Would it not be advisable to promote authority at community level? Of
course there ought to be a check, the check being intervention of a higher
authority say the Government and higher courts, when a complaint is lodged
by the affected.

At present the pseudo intellectual seems to try and rule the roost, guided
solely by their own understanding of all kinds of freedom sans
responsibility / accountability.

RN Radhakrishnan
Devinder Chopra
2014-10-05 00:39:33 UTC
Dear Respected Sri Sarbajit Roy Saheb ji,

Amazing information, you have shared, Sire!
IF it is true that the lady has been incarcerated for 5 years, less or more,
and the case has barely begun, or not, then great injustice has been met.
We have always looked up to our judicial system, but, IF it be true, that,
her
being held, is under false, or wrong pretenses then one feels cheated.
One has avoided going to Court (in a circumstance or two, personally)
because
we all are aware, that, matters/issues take anywhere between 2-5-7 years to
get sorted out! To be imprisoned the way this young lady has been is
indeed a blot that we, all Indians, suffer from today & ever more.
The Constitution, we swear by has indeed been made a mockery of....
i have felt cheated and reduced in my feelings as a national of our land.
i have no leanings, right through my years, towards any political party, or
any religious 'ism' but have felt minimised, reduced and cheated as i have
held our judicial system, in the upper echelons, with great respect.
Excuse my sharing such thoughts & feelings and have now realised why
organisations like IAC came into existence.....
Submitted with respect and a sense of great sympathy for the one hurt
the most-- who as & when released ought to get compensated.

devinder das chopra
9810338049
***
s***@gmail.com
2014-10-05 04:56:07 UTC
Dear All, It's a great job,and very valuable information dugged out.The purpetrators need to be brought to book and punished.Justice must be given to Sadhvi honourably..... Major.D S Sarwara
Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

2014-10-05 06:47:25 UTC
Shriman Devinder Chopra Sir,

Which country and which world do you live in ?
This is the story we hear every day with thousands languishing in our Jails without trial. Provisions of the Criminal Procedure Code and Instructions of the Hon'ble Supreme Court are thrown to the wind every hour of the day.
Without sounding Communal let me also say this only gets worse when we look at the youth from the Minority Communities. The Police Atrocities and the weak Justice Delivery System only help in alienating the Minorities further.
I fully endorse the mail written by POONAM AGGARWAL earlier in this forum.

JAI HIND.

Amjad Afridi

Sent from my iPhone
Devinder Chopra
2014-10-05 20:52:45 UTC
Jenab Amjad Afridi Saheb,
i live in the same world as you live. Wherever anyone is held in jail w/o
any trial, within a reasonable period of time, as per the Indian penal
code, and the law does not get enforced, it is unfair and unjust.

Human Rights are we must live by -- which applies to one and all --
regardless of religion, class, caste sex or political affiliation/s.
South Asian countries are known to be suffering from impinging on the
rights of citizens.
Who knows who, what carries what kind of weight in getting fair &
honourable treatment is indeed a sordid tale of bias and discrimination.
(We were driven out of Lahore, way back when our country was cut and made
independent. Tragically, communal biases & forces have not ended.)

One sympathises with those who are incarcerated, wrongly and unfairly. In
all such cases the system and weak or biased carry-out of our laws is to be
condemned.
Having said that, nothing will change. And it is beyond my power to be of
any help or sustenance, sadly. i own my singular sense of helplessness.
The world we live in demands one stays away from getting embroiled in any
controversies.
Truth and all that it stands for many a time is a far off dream, of sorts.
Peace.
dev chopra in gurgaon
***
anil pannikker
2014-10-05 04:35:08 UTC
Please don't feel hurt! When Mohamed Aamir khan was arrested at the age of
18 yrs and released at the age of 32 yrs....nobody was so much hurt...he
lost his father...mother is paralyzed and is in a vegetative state!....let
the courts decide this case on merit!